Real talk: I hate flying. Road trips are the best kind of trip.
Tibo and I just love getting into a car with a map and plenty of stops planned along the way. In fact, we love road tripping so much that we’ve explored the West Coast/Western national parks twice and driven extensively up and down the East Coast through several states as well.
The most essential thing for a road trip, if you ask us, is (besides snacks, of course) … Good MUSIC! Nothing more frustrating than not finding decent songs on the radio or not being able to connect your iPhone to the car. So for our road trip, we created half a dozen playlists and came up with the Top 20 songs below!
A combination of old and new, they’re all songs you want to hear when driving down the highway and that let your mind wander! Songs that evoke the open road, songs that make you want to pack your bags and drive…
Trust me – you don’t want to be in the car with us when one of these songs is playing. They make you want to roll your window down and sing the top of your lungs. The driving beat of most of these songs makes me think about road tripping in the USA. They capture what America is – or used to be – to so many people, lol.
- “Livin’ on a Prayer”, Bon Jovi – the best road trip song period.
- “Symphony”, Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson (Beau Collins remix) – don’t forget to check out our California Road Trip video! 🙂
- “One of Us”, Joane Osborne (Sarah Simmons cover) – Tibo is not the religious type haha but we agree that it’s one of the greatest songs ever.
- “Highway to Hell”, AC/DC – listening to it when you’re in Death Valley brings the lyrics to a whole new level ;-).
- “Ocean Drive”, Duke Dumont
- “Summer”, Calvin Harris
- “Lose Yourself”, Eminem – Mom’s spaghetti.
- “Writing’s on the Wall”, Sam Smith – I love this song, the lyrics are so touching.
- “California” – Phantom Planet – I wish I was 14 again so I could just binge watch the OC all day long.
- “Dreams”, Fleetwood Mac
- “Ride”, Lana Del Rey – check out the long version on Youtube, it’s a masterpiece. I’ve listened to the monologue and this song 1500 times.
- “Sleep on the Floor”, The Lumineers – our FAVORITE song atm. We played it like 100 times in four weeks. The lyrics are already intense but look at the clip: the video is so good that it’s impossible to focus on what they sing.
- “My way”, Calvin Harris
- “Adventure of a Lifetime”, Coldplay – Tibo’s favorite band and all of their songs are just so good. Not our favorite song from Coldplay but it has such a positive vibe.
- “Changes“, Tupac – never gets old.
- “Sign of the Times”, Harry Styles
- “Runaway (U & I)”, Galantis – this is also a great workout track (if only we worked out lol).
- “Desperado”, The Eagles – a song released in 1973 that my dad made me discover, it is still as good as ever.
- “Complicated Situation”, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- “Lust for Life”, Lana Del Rey ft. The Weeknd – Lana all day errr day.
We would love to hear your favorite songs when driving!!! Please leave a comment below with any additions you have to this list! 🙂